Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Polka, Polka, Polka

While the title of this post is an homage to the movie Home Alone, I assure you it has nothing to do with Gus Polinsky, Polka King of the Midwest, or his band, the Kenosha Kickers. I just can't help but think of him when I hear the word 'polka.' I know some of you will get my humor..maybe. :) Anyway, I was just thinking about how I have tons of striped sweaters and shirts in my closet and I need to try to incorporate some different patterns into my wardrobe. Polka dots are a playful, easy pattern to wear year round. This is certainly not a new trend, as the pattern dates back to the late nineteenth century, but I am seeing spots everywhere and had no trouble finding some cute pieces I would love to add to my collection.

I love everything peplum and this pleated top is no exception.  It could be worn now with a cardigan or blazer.  The scarf is lightweight and would make a great winter-spring transition piece.

Left: Juicy Couture peplum top
Right: Marc by Marc Jacobs scarf


 I've seen variations of this sweater everywhere from Old Navy to Moschino, but I love the mint and navy color combination on this Club Monaco version.
Club Monaco sweater

If you are looking to add just a splash of polka dot to your everyday look, a phone case or shoes would be an easy addition.  I would wear this dress with tan flats and a white cardigan to work.
Top Left: Kate Spade iPhone case
Bottom Left: Parentesi flats
Right: Alice & You dress


 I've been wanting some polka dot tights since I saw a pair in Gap back in October.  I haven't purchased any yet but I still have them on my mind.
Kate Spade tights



Left: Gwen Stefani in polka dot sweater
Middle: Emma Roberts in polka dot jeans
Right: me in a Gap sweater


 The looks below are really making me look forward to Spring.  I've added several pairs of colored jeans to my wardrobe, but not patterned, so I think these polka dot jeans would be a great purchase.  The pleated skirt could be paired with a bright colored top, and the crossbody bag could give a pleasant pop of color to any outfit.
Left: J.Crew jeans
Top Right: J.Crew factory pleated skirt
Bottom Right: Marc by Marc Jacobs crossbody bag


No comments:

Post a Comment