Monday, February 11, 2013

Grammy's Best & Worst Dressed

I always look forward to the Grammy Awards red carpet because you never know what to expect to see. It is a place to take risks and make statements.  There was no Lady Gaga or Nicki Minaj on the carpet this year, so there wasn't any crazy theatrics (besides some guy dressed as an astronaut), but still exciting to see what and who everyone is wearing.

My best dressed goes to...Rihanna. RiRi always brings it and looks incredible, but I can't recall the last time she looked so elegant.  What a surprise to see her looking so sophisticated in an flowing red Alaia gown.  

Rihanna in Azzedine Alaia
 Also on my best list is Taylor Swift.  She wears J. Mendel all the time and this look was pretty expected, but still beautiful nonetheless. I'm usually not a huge fan of Kelly Osbourne's fashion choices, but I loved the cutouts in her black dress.  I also thought Chrissy Teigen (John Legend's fiancĂ©) looked amazing. Her outfit was sexy and fun, and something I hadn't seen before.

Taylor Swift in J. Mendel
Kelly Osbourne in Paule Ka
Chrissy Teigen in Joy Ciocci
I sort of snubbed Nicole Kidman on my SAG Awards list, but I didn't dismiss her on this one. She was statuesque in this gold Vera Wang.  The print on Estelle's two-piece ensemble was kind of crazy, but I like the shape of this gown, so I think she pulled it off.  Miranda Lambert's choices are usually too short and/or too tight so I was proud of her for going with a classic black halter and a sophisticated silhouette. 
Nicole Kidman in Vera Wang
Estelle in Genelle Brooks x Love Collins
Miranda Lambert in Roberto Cavalli
 Worst dressed starts with Florence Welch.  I know she is known for her risk-taking style and I respect her for that, but just because she is quirky does not mean she has to dress like a reptile.  Beyonce arrived in a jumpsuit, and I don't have a problem with the jumpsuit itself, but I think it was too casual for the Grammys.  I was shocked when Adele showed up wearing red instead of her usual black, but then wished she would have stuck to black because I hated the unflattering shape and print of this Valentino Couture dress.  Her hair and makeup were beautiful, so it's unfortunate that she chose to wear this dress. 

Florence Welch in Givenchy
Beyonce in Osman Studio
Adele in Valentino Couture
I can't believe I'm putting Jennifer Lopez on my worst list, but I wasn't feeling her black gown.  Angelina Jolie did this at the Oscars last year. It's been done.  Stick to showing off your booty, J.Lo.   Carrie Underwood was confused and thought this was prom.  From the front, her hair looks like Carol Brady's.  She's young and beautiful, as one of her songs says, and I would love to see her start dressing a little edgier and sexier.  Maybe I am still a little bitter towards Esperanza Spalding for beating out Justin Bieber for best new artist a couple of years ago, but her printed gown and capelet came across as bizarre.

Jennifer Lopez in Anthony Vaccarello
Carrie Underwood in Roberto Cavalli
Esperanza Spalding in Eden Diodati

Black was the definitely the color of the evening, as seen on a few ladies below.  Another trend I
noticed was cutouts.  Alicia Keys had a few while Kelly Rowland took it to the extreme.



Alicia Keys in Azzedine Alaia
Carly Rae Jepsen in Roberto Cavalli
Kelly Rowland in Georges Chakra

Just a special thanks to Kaley Cuoco for not wearing anything close to her SAG ensemble a couple of weeks ago. Kaley, you get most improved and you looked rocker-chic in your leather pants and embellished jacket.


Left: Kaley Cuoco at the Grammy's in Amen
Right: at the SAG Awards in Romona Keveza


No comments:

Post a Comment