Friday, February 22, 2013

Countdown to Oscar Night

As Oscar night quickly approaches (just a couple of days away), I started thinking about my favorite Oscar dresses of all time.  The first one that came to my head was Julia Roberts in vintage Valentino.  To me, this is the most iconic Oscar dress ever.  I think part of what makes this gown (and all of the other ones on my list of favorites) so memorable is that it is timeless.   All of the gowns included on my list are elegant, glamorous and make the women wearing them truly look like movie stars.

Julia Roberts in Valentino, 2001
I was so obsessed with this Vera Wang dress Keira Knightley wore in 2006, that it was the starting point for my wedding dress search.  I wanted a dress like that in white.  I didn't end up with exactly the same dress, but the silhouette is very similar.  I should have practiced her red carpet pose for my wedding pics.
Keira Knightley in Vera Wang, 2006
me in Pronovias

I think if you wear red, it needs to be an uh-mazing, stunning red carpet moment.  These women certainly made their statements in these unforgettable gowns.
Heidi Klum in Dior, 2008
Nicole Kidman in Balenciaga, 2007
I was discussing my list with a friend and we kept thinking of more dresses to add. It was hard to narrow it down, but here are some other gorgeous looks from past Oscar red carpets. 
Jennifer Lopez in Zuhair Murad, 2012
Sandra Bullock in Marchesa, 2010
Anne Hathaway in Armani Prive, 2009
Charlize Theron in Gucci, 2004
Kate Hudson in Versace, 2003
Penelope Cruz in Versace, 2007
Jessica Alba in Versace, 2006
Gwyneth Paltrow in Tom Ford, 2012
Mila Kunis in Elie Saab, 2011
Jennifer Lopez in Valentino, 2003
Michelle Williams in Vera Wang, 2006
Renee Zellweger in Jean Desses, 2001
I've been practicing my Oscar acceptance speech holding a shampoo bottle in the shower for years.  I'm keeping that one under wraps in case I ever get to actually use it, but I will share my 2013 Oscar best and worst dressed list next week.




No comments:

Post a Comment