Monday, April 22, 2013

New York, I Love You xoxo

I've been asking my husband if we could move to New York (or anywhere, really) for about 5 years now... his answer is always no, of course.  Even after choruses of 'Empire State of Mind' and 'New York, New York,'  I haven't quite persuaded him to move there (never gonna happen), but I did convince him to entertain the idea of going there for a weekend getaway.  I told him he just had to see it for himself, and then I would never ask him to go ever again.  I also threw in tickets to a Yankee game and leveraged that with the promise of no Broadway shows to seal the deal. 

We arrived in NYC on Thursday night and made it to Yankee Stadium by the 2nd inning of the game.  It was okay we were late, since the game went to 12 innings.  The stadium wasn't full at all, and I remember thinking that it didn't seem like there were that many people there, so imagine my surprise when the jumbotron said attendance was over 36,000.  My husband got his beer and hot dog, so he was happy and I was hoping that this would make up for the next two days of following me around while I was shopping.
The next morning, we went downtown to the 9/11 memorial.  It was a crazy feeling to see it in person, and incredibly sad to read the names of people who died that day.   To me, it was just another great reminder of how precious life really is, and tomorrow is never promised.
Later, we wandered around Wall Street and the financial district and then made our way up to Soho for lunch and shopping.


Since it was his first time to NYC, we did some touristy stuff.  I played tour guide by pointing out famous places and referencing what happened there on Gossip Girl.  We went to the 86th floor of the Empire State Building around 11pm, which is a great time to go- no lines to get in!  It was the perfect place to try to comprehend how big this city really is.  Also, I don't know if my hair got confused and thought since Manhattan is an island, it should go crazy like if I was in the Caribbean, but I had to tame the frizz in buns and ponytails for most of the trip.
Saturday morning started off with more shopping, then venturing around Central Park.  We stopped at the Bethesda Fountain to people watch and to rest.  Back at the hotel, the scale in my hotel bathroom said 84 when I stepped onto it...I mean, I knew I had walked a lot but didn't know I had dropped that much weight!  Okay, maybe it was broken, but we did do A LOT of walking.

We were able to hit up 2 of the 4 B's (Bloomingdale's and Bendel's).  We also had to stop at Dylan's Candy Bar to grab a few treats for the nieces and nephews.


There definitely wasn't enough time to do everything we wanted to do, but we did manage to squeeze in a couple of visits with some friends that were in town.

I am always happy to get out of my little 'bubble' every once in awhile.  I know I always say I want to move to NYC, but I think the only way I could do it is if I had a Park Ave penthouse on the Upper East Side and a personal driver.  Oh, and million of dollars to live off of.  I got my 'fix' of city life (for now) and was happy to see my little Monaco when I got home.  Needless to say, this guy below was totally exhausted!  I'm already
looking forward to visiting NYC again (def a girls trip!) and exploring the city even more.





No comments:

Post a Comment